Herbs in Food Photography
Using herbs in food photography is one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to help an image come alive. A delicious (but plain looking) bowl of soup becomes a work of art when a few herbs are either sprinkled on top or placed in an artful composition such as the garnish on my Vichyssoise.
I love Vichyssoise, but the best part is decorating and embellishing with fresh herbs such as chives, chive blossoms, pansies, nasturtiums, etc.
When photographing soup, make sure it is either at room temperature or chilled. If the soup is chilled, the herbs will stay fresh and crisp, which is not possible if warm.
Have you ever tried Vichyssoise? Vichyssoise is a soup made of sautéed leeks, onions, potatoes, milk, cream, and chicken stock. It is traditionally served chilled, but it can be served hot. If serving hot, simply call it “leek and potato soup” and no one will be the wiser!
I thought I’d include the recipe just for fun .. enjoy!
- 5 leeks, sliced *rinsed and cleaned thoroughly
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 Tbsp butter
- 7 medium potatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups rich milk (3%)
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- In a saucepan, saute leeks and onions in butter until soft, but not brown
- Peel and slice potatoes thinly (3 cups)
- Add potatoes, broth, and salt to the saucepan and cook until soft (35-40 minutes)
- Blend in blender, return to heat, add milk, stir constantly and bring just to the boiling point
- Cool, and blend again
- Add cream and chill 2 – 3 hours
- Serve in well chilled bowls, garnish with herbs
Note: All herbs and flowers used in cooking must be edible and chemical free (do your research). Don’t use flowers from greenhouses or florists (I grow my own.) When using edible herbs and flowers make sure to rinse thoroughly in a large bowl of cold water, changing water several times. Remove by hand after rinsing and lay on a clean tea towel to drain. Pat dry and use immediately.
Common Herbs used in Food Photography
A printed background is one of the easiest ways to add personality and style to your flat lay photography. With so many choices available in our Shop, there’s sure to be a perfect fit for your aesthetic, whether it be rustic or contemporary.